home button photography button handmade button style button eating in button going out button

Friday, January 3, 2014

2014.

I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that I can hardly believe it's 2014.  2014, guys.   If I'm being really honest, I accidentally wrote the date as 2012 in December.  December of 2013.

I remember being in elementary school and reading in my Weekly Reader magazine about the new state quarters and how they would all be produced by 1998.  At the time I thought, "Man, that is so far away!  I'll be so old by the time that happens!"   I remember feeling like that was forever away, and not really being able to imagine how different life would be.  For the record, it wasn't that far away-in 1998 I was in 6th grade.

But that's neither here nor there-just a point to say it's so hard to believe IT'S 2014.  

I have some big hopes for this year.  I won't call them resolutions because the minute I do they will feel more like a chore, and these are things I really hope for myself this year.   If I make it feel too much like a chore I'll just let myself get overwhelmed and, well, that's counter productive.

1.  Collect moments, not things.  This is a huge goal for me this year and will involve several of the ways I want to grow.  I'm not going to lie-I like things.  I like to collect and decorate and make things pretty.  I'm pretty thrify with my spending, and I would be lying if I said I would give these things up completely, but 2014 is going to be about experiences.  We are planning some pretty incredible trips this year, and every penny counts.  I'd much rather have a special memory with my husband or family than something else to wear or shove in my happily cluttered home.  

2.  Remember the grass isn't greener on the other side.  This year I want to make a conscious effort to be more grateful.  I live a very blessed life and I need to remember that.     

3.  Learn to say 'no.' Mostly so I can say 'yes' where it really counts. 

4.  Share more.  More laughter, more tears, more reasons, more cheers (can anyone name that song?).    But really-share more where it might help someone.  Share more joy and positivity with others.  Share more quiet time with my husband, laughter with my mom, talks with my sister.  #3 might really help me with this one.  Hopefully I'll share more here, too. 

So that's it. That's how I want to spend my 2014.  What are your hopes for this year?


No comments:

Post a Comment