home button photography button handmade button style button eating in button going out button

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Summer Sun Tea

This afternoon I wanted a special treat but didn't really feel like going out to get something.  I started thinking of what would be a perfect summer beverage...and I remembered sun tea! (Okay, let's be honest-I was watching reruns of 30 Rock on netflix, and one of the episodes is called "Sun Tea")
I hadn't made sun tea in a long time, but as far as I could remember, I just needed some water, tea bags, and a little bit of patience.  Turns out, I was right!

I decided to use a Wild-Berry Zinger Tea from a variety tea box I had.  If you know me at all, you know I have a whole cabinet devoted to tea and coffee-so I had plenty to choose from.  You could use whatever tea you have!  I had 4 of the Wild-Berry tea bags, which was just enough for my small pitcher of water.  Before I put my tea in the sun, I threw in several handful of frozen raspberries, to give it a little something special.  (I love having frozen fruit available-it's the perfect substitute for ice cubes in the summer!)

It turned out as the perfect, refreshing treat for a summer afternoon.  I have the feeling I'll be enjoying a lot of sun tea this summer!

 To go with my sun tea, I decided to have a little sweet treat.  I spread some Trader Joe's Cookie Butter on Ritz...yum!  I've been eyeing the cookie butter every time I go to Trader Joe's, and I'm so glad I bought it! Totally delicious.

How to make sun tea:
1. Choose your container.  Make sure it is glass (remember, the sun is brewing your tea!) and make sure it has a lid.  If you use a pitcher like I did that doesn't have a lid, rubber band some saran wrap to the top.  You don't want ants enjoying your tea before you can!
2.  Select your tea.  How many tea bags you use totally depends on the size of you container.  For my very small pitcher, I used 4 tea bags.  Because you are relying on the sun instead of hot or boiling water, your tea might not turn out quite as strong.  Use more tea bags for stronger tea.
3.  Add extras!  I added frozen raspberries to compliment my Wild-Berry tea, but anything could work. Think fruit, fresh mint, or even some fresh rosemary!
4.  Cover your tea and put it in the sun!  Forget about it for at least an hour.  You certainly can't hurt it by leaving it there even longer, so go make something.
5.  When you bring it in, decide if you would like to sweeten it.  I chose to sweeten the cup I was drinking with a little Splenda, rather than sweeten the whole pitcher.  It's delicious both ways!

Enjoy!
-Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment