home button photography button handmade button style button eating in button going out button

Friday, July 6, 2012

Chair Revamp

So one of my favorite things to do is to give old things new life.  Seriously.  If I could quit my day job and hunt junk to repurpose all the time I would.

A few months back (yes, months!) Seth had a friend make us a kitchen table as a surprise for me.  Ours came from craigslist, then to my apartment, and eventually into our house.  We couldn't eat at it without our plates touching.  It was so teeny! So I was really excited to get a new table, and I wanted to find the perfect chairs to go with it.

For a while I tossed around the idea of mixing and matching chairs and painting them all white.  The problem was, I couldn't seem to find 4 chairs I liked at a reasonable price! One night we found ourselves at an auction in Easley, and before I knew it we had won 6 wooden chairs and a table for 20 dollars!  I can't lie-it's kind of a thrill to stick that little auction card in the air! I couldn't say no to such a good deal, so I had to think of something to make them each different.  (I'm using the table as a craft space, I'll share more about that later)

So these were the chairs...
Not bad, but they needed something.
I thought about painting them, but I wanted each one to be different.  In the end I decided to give them all different cushions.  My mom suggested oilcloth, and I jumped on that idea!
If you don't know what oilcloth is, it's the vinyl-like fabric usually with floral or fruit prints that you would find in your grandmother's kitchen.  I love it!
So the hunt began! I finally found an Etsy shop with an assortment of oilcloth, and you can even buy it in partial yards, which was exactly what I needed. 
 
So far, I have covered the cushions and I love them in my kitchen!  Pretty simple cover-just staple-gunned those suckers on!

I gave them a really good wipe down, but I haven't decided whether or not I should paint them.  I thought about white, but now I'm thinking it might be too much with the crazy cushions!  What do you think?

Happy Friday!
Megan


No comments:

Post a Comment